Saudi Woman to be Whipped for Driving
Yes .. you read that right. A woman in Saudi Arabia is going to be judicially lashed with a whip for the horrendous crime of .. driving a car.
Saudi Arabia, as you know, is Americas ‘staunch ally’ in the middl-east. It is an oil-rich, medieval, repressive regime whos rulers are long-time friends of the Bush dynasty in America. Because of its oil-wealth and its willingness to collude in Americas control of the middle-east, Saudi Arabia is immune from criticism. No American politician dares speak against it. No mainstream American media dare condemn the human rights abuses there.
So in this country so beloved of Americas rulers, next week, a woman named Shema is going to be whipped for daring to drive a car. Shema’s whipping will be done by a jallad, a flogger or executioner in Arabic. It could be done on Friday, perhaps in public. Before the whipping, Shema’s sentence will be read aloud by an official of the Interior Ministry. Shema’s hands will be bound so she can’t resist and the flogger will use an asa, or stick make of bamboo, typically about three feet long and half an inch in diameter. A leather handle will help him strike her with maximum force. Her skin will be torn. It will teach this woman and others like her to know their place.
You know what ? To hell with the moral relativism that tries to excuse things like this on the grounds of respecting ‘cultural differences’. Without any equivocation whatsoever, I say that its always wrong to do this to any human being and fuck the culture or custom or law or religion or person that believes its right.
I was going to say something about this the other day when the dashboard was flooded with posts celebrating the fact that Saudi women can now vote. I felt like saying, “yeah but they still need a man to drive them to the polls!”
No kidding: Newsweek’s cover on Rep. Michele Bachmann, the 2012 presidential candidate, has caused quite a stir on the interwebs over the past couple of days. It’s even inspired a couple of memes, though it’s mostly inspired anger over the magazine’s approach. Example: Terry O’Brien, the president of the National Organization for Women, said the “‘Queen of Rage’ is something you apply to wrestlers or somebody who is crazy.” Was this photo the best choice for the magazine’s cover? Take a look at the magazine’s own outtakes and judge for yourself. source
In other words, she looks wacky because SHE IS WACKY.
Hey look, it’s also misleading. But you probably don’t care about pesky little facts. You’d much rather just cry about a nonexistent problem.
But let’s break it down really quick. The reasons men are paid more than women are as follows:
- Men work more hours / longer shifts
- Women get benefits that men don’t (like, for instance, you guys pop babies out of your vagina, and are given PAID time to handle that, and take care of your kids, and breastfeed them, and all that stuff, and we don’t, and we’re not afforded the same PAID time off)
- Men negotiate wages better and more aggressively than women (that is a proven fact)
- More is expected of a man than is expected of a woman doing the same job (for instance, who is expected to do heavy lifting, or other strenuous tasks?), which translates into higher pay for the man than the woman
- Women are much more likely to work part-time jobs than men
- Men are more likely to pursue degrees in more lucrative fields than women (mostly because women have the luxury of not having potential income be a major factor in their career choice, whereas men have to pick a career that will allow them to support their families)
Sorry ladies, hate to rain on your pity parade.
Quit crying, you’re not oppressed. You have it pretty easy, actually. You have a role to fulfill in society, and so do men. You can choose to eschew that role, and that’s fine, but let’s not pretend that there’s some systematic oppression going on here, you’re all just a bunch of whiney babies (the feminists who reblogged this, not women in general).
Listen, mister, I can make a bullet point too.
- Men do, in fact, work longer hours. However, as the PDF I linked to notes, women have had a steady increase in the amount of hours they work since 1970. While the research doesn’t explicitly say it, I would wager that it was women’s rights movements that have granted this option. (http://stat.bls.gov/opub/mlr/1997/04/art1full.pdf)
- Your second point is complete fucking garbage. Sorry. US Department of Labor grants both males and females 12 weeks leave. Whether it is paid is up to the employer. (http://www.dol.gov/dol/topic/benefits-leave/fmla.htm)
- “According to our research, gender is not a reliable predictor of negotiation performance; neither women nor men perform better or worse across all negotiations.” (http://hbswk.hbs.edu/item/5207.html)
- I’m going to go ahead and call bullshit on this point because I could find absolutely no evidence supporting your claim that men do more strenuous work while doing the same job.
- Has it occurred to you that many women who are only afforded part-time work would prefer to to be working full-time, and are unable to do so at a company’s refusal? (http://www.bls.gov/opub/mlr/1991/03/art2full.pdf)
- I was also unable to find evidence supporting your claim that men choose more “lucrative” professions than women. Women have no such “luxury” of not looking at potential income when making a career choice. You seem to have the idea that all women make a career choice based on the assumption that they will be “kept” by a man. I’m sorry, sir, but you are sorely mistaken.
Sorry if using actual facts from reputable sources offends you.
^^^ Also this.
The more I read of statehate’s blog, the more he looks like every other conservative Tumblr. An idiot.
When statehate writes ‘you guys pop babies out of your vaginas’ his bitterness reads so clearly. I know the words are literally true, but the tone expresses a different message, one that reads ‘I hate women.’
AND BREASTFEED THEM! Like he’s disgusted.
It’s really sad, statehate. You’re a sad, childish man.
He hates women who have abortions AND women who have babies. It’s a lose-lose for us.
Also, his whole “you get PAID time off to do that!” is factually incorrect, but like he stated, facts are indeed pesky. The US of A is the only Western country that does not legally require paid maternity leave. So no, we’re not getting paid to “pop babies out of our vaginas” (if he thinks it’s that easy, no wonder he’s anti-abortion. birth is like removing a tampon, rite ladiez?), and then we can’t get any subsidized child care, so we’re forced to work those glam part-time jobs so we can care for our kids. The reason our husbands don’t do it is because ONE person in the family has to have a full-time job so everyone can have health insurance, and be default the guy is probably paid more than his wife.
And as I’ve stated before, the idea that men are paid more because they can lift heavy boxes is laughable at best. Quick test, everyone: think of your current or last boss. What gender were they? And their boss? And their boss above them? What about the person who owned the company? And in your last job, how often was anyone asked to lift something so heavy that a lady couldn’t even attempt it?
No no, it’s all a coincidence that so many CEOs, marketing executives, law firm partners and other executive-level non-lifting-related jobs are held by men. A glorious coincidence that has nothing to do with a self-perpetuating cycle of anti-woman policies and attitudes.
Even if these big, strong manly men lifted more “boxes” than their female counterparts (which I would have to see to believe anyway), it’s still not worth $9000 more a year. His entire argument (if it could be called that) is spurious and based upon nothing more than his inability to get a date.
Ugly people, if you’re a guy, you can get past it. I don’t think you can as an ugly woman.” Adding, “you’ve got a double-cross, because if you’re an ugly woman, you’re probably a progressive as well.
Sexism is hilarious.
Such a jackass.
“Girl, it’s growing out and I’m a little too busy dealing with one of the most important jobs in the world right now to deal with it. There are more important things on Earth, believe it or not. You don’t like my hair? Write me a letter. I’ll get back to you right after I start giving a shit.”
This is so punk rock I can’t even stand it.
Hilary Clinton, BAMF
Seriously. Besides, is this really the hairstyle that got everyone so up in arms? (I was so annoyed by the coverage a day and a half ago I didn’t even read the stories.) SHE LOOKS FINE. And I’m not just saying that because I do the same thing with my hair for work. Basically every day. Really.
When was the last time someone criticized a male politician for his hairstyle/fashion choices? (I know I just made a joke about Blagojevich, but c’mon man he’s not a real politician he’s a walking joke).
This is sexist, pure and simple. You want to criticize Mrs. Clinton? Talk about her policies, not her fucking hair and clothes.